I'm Awake and Alive...Like Chucky

Ah, the things that shape us.

Where would we be without them?

I can tell you right now that one of the movies that single handedly helped shaped me into the creative, bold, and fierce person that I am today would probably shock you, or at least make you go..."Whaaa?!"

At the very least, it would probably make you question my taste in horror movies. Maybe.

But with the release of Universal's "Bride of Chucky," this made for once momentous shift in my personality traits, and boy, was I never the same. 



I still have a huge movie theater issued poster


"Bride of Chucky," for those of you who merely look at it as the fourth installment in the Child's Play franchise was much more than that to my pre-teen self. This was the gateway to both Rob Zombie and dressing in black for non-Halloween events. To my chuckling cousins who were gathered round, watching the rented video (yes...it was a video), Jennifer Tilly's human character Tiffany was deemed "trailer trash" and jeered at. But to me, she looked stunning. I knew that I needed to incorporate fishnets and tight dresses into my wardrobe as well. Sadly, I also knew that I'd have a long way to go before I would have a figure to match the outfits that I had in mind. But I was so excited- the world had opened up to a new possibility- I had found something that I didn't even know I wanted!




For context, this was the same year that the media was trying to shove the newly popular Britney Spears down our throats. And Britney wasn't cool yet. She's a staple now, saving us from the unknown pop tarts that we're still unsure of. At the time, she had a couple of music videos and a tv advertisement for her cd. It wasn't a bonafide hit yet. So the risque schoolgirl outfit that seems so tame now? Please line that up with the outfits in Tiffany's closet- the corset mini-dresses that puff up Ms. Tilly's already ample chest, and you'll see what I mean. Tiffany was risque. This was the late 90's, and these fashion choices were severe. Respect that.




This was just the first few seconds of the micro mini skirt, stilettos, and jacket and Tiffany strutted away on screen. Then...

Then...


"What are you thinking about?"


The first few notes of Rob Zombie's "Living Dead Girl" blared to life and most of the song played as the audience was taken through a sequence of Tiffany's trailer, spooky doll collection, and assorted newspaper clippings of Chucky's demise (including one glaring continuity error if you're a fan of the movies). But the song was literally music to my ears.

Zombie had never been outright kept away from me, and I had heard his name before, but the second I heard those pounding notes, I was hooked. I almost stopped the tape (yes, tape) and pushed rewind just so I could heard that glorious song again because it was so good.

*As a side note, I made it my priority to get the Bride of Chucky soundtrack the next day because I was under the impression that "Living Dead Girl" would be on it. Nope. The lineup did feature some bands that I currently love that the soundtrack exposed me to for the first time ever (including Static-X, Motorhead, Stabbing Westward, and Slayer), but there was no "Living Dead Girl."


I about caused a damn riot


There was a White Zombie song on the soundtrack, but it was not the same, and I had to wait months before I obtained Rob Zombie's album that did feature the song, "Hellbilly Deluxe" for my own. This turned out to be a good thing though, because the colossal hit "Dragula" is featured as well as "Superbeast." But I'm guessing you kickass people out there already know that \m/



I'll be in my bunk


I guess I'm just saying that if your movie is opened by a song, just HAVE THAT SONG IN THE SOUNDTRACK. But I digress, and it all worked out.

But this movie, this one movie that probably will go down as one of the most different horror sequels ever, shaped me into the person I am today. Sure, it gets ragged on by a ton of people, and yes I get tired of defending it, but I love it. I love it because I would not be who I am without Tiffany or Rob Zombie or Chucky or the 90's.


Corsets, YAAASSSSSS

We all have lots of things that shape us into who we are. The beauty of the world is we never know what's going to have a huge impact on us when we first see it. I mean- this was regarded as one of the "worst" Chucky movies. Who would have thought that I would love it so much or that it would influence me (and maybe others) so much?

It's okay to love the unusual.


From Child's Play 2, but still relevant (and creepy!) AF

Oh, and to all of you who are bummed out that I didn't write during the summer, so am I. But December doesn't like the summer. Please see the previous post and know that I haven't forgotten about you.


Corsets. Corsets, I say! (Pic by Rob Myers)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sorceress of Sonnets Stops By: An Interview with Kristin Garth

A Review of Vanessa Maki's "the chosen one"

Writing, and Editing, and Pin-making, oh-my! An Interview with Kari Castor