I'm Right Behind You Like Slender Man

Has anyone ever told you that you're not worth it?

Or do you just have yourself to thank for that?

If you're anything like me, I fall into the second category. There were so many reasons that I put off writing and one of them was because I was terrified...of my own words.

All those judges...all those established writers...all those A-listers...SOMEBODY HELLLLLPPP!!!

I was immediately discrediting myself before I even got started. Not cool.

For those of you who are familiar with my wrestling history, this may not seem at all like the fussy little miss who walked fearlessly into the ring and came back with a sometimes blood-soaked face or a crooked body movement. But wrestling was riddled with a different type of anxiety. Although it might not have looked like it.



Photo by Rob Myers




With writing, this is an entirely new adventure because I feel like I have no safety net. I'm basically starting at the beginning again. I have years of professional classes and teachings to fall back on, but it's still a new process and it's a bit scary and it's easy to get discouraged. Especially when the voice discouraging you is your own.

And that's really unfair.

So I thought to myself that maybe you've found yourself in this situation too in some aspect of your life and maybe needed a little boost.

I wanted to let you know that I'm still a cheerleader- YOUR cheerleader, in fact, and I'm still in your corner, cheering you on. I can't wait to see what you'll do! If you wanted the universe to give you a sign to start that project- here ya go! If you don't think you can do something, damn right you can. I mean it.

I didn't really have the greatest odds when I signed up to be a professional wrestler. I was a five foot 19 year old with a swearing problem that would make Joe Pesci blush.


Funny how?



But I wanted to be a wrestler so badly that I worked tirelessly for it- the way that I'm working at being a writer, and they way that I know you're working towards your goals. Blogging is one way of doing what I love, just like there are stepping stones to your goals. Isolate them- what are they? Jot down those baby steps. Even if they are little, they still count towards your goal. And every time you accomplish something, don't forget the joy you feel. It'll help you move towards bigger and better goals where the victory will feel that much more amazing.

Have goals for yourself. Get moving towards them. You'll feel so much better. I promise.

We're all going to have those discouraging days. But please be nice to yourself. Bear in mind that EVERYONE started out small. And doing small things is so much better than doing nothing.

You can do this. I'm cheering you on. I'm right behind you, like Slender Man.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sorceress of Sonnets Stops By: An Interview with Kristin Garth

A Review of Vanessa Maki's "the chosen one"

Writing, and Editing, and Pin-making, oh-my! An Interview with Kari Castor