Heroes May Change But Your Faith Doesn't Have To

This weekend the new Tomb Raider movie came out and I felt like it was 1996 again.

Anyone who knows me knows that Lara Croft has been my hero ever since she came onto the PlayStation scene in 1996.


Look at this. Glorious.



When Core Design unleashed this soon-to-be-female icon, I was really young and susceptible to whatever the video game wizards put in front of me. Especially if said person was pretty, intelligent, and adventurous. I mean, how cool was this? A hero for girls everywhere! She was everything I could set a goal for in my adult years. I wanted to learn how to climb a mountain and fire a weapon and ride a motorcycle, just like Lady Croft. And Tomb Raider made me think I could do it.

Here's the kicker though- at NO POINT did I let anyone convince me it wasn't possible. I paid no attention to people that said she was "just" a video game. To me, she was realistic enough that these goals were attainable. Once that PS1 controller was in my hands, I was unstoppable. I'll tell you right now I wasn't much of a Metal Gear Solid player, although I did okay at Spyro and Mortal Kombat. I was pretty respectable at Crash Bandicoot as well. But once the PlayStation console was booted up with Tomb Raider inside, I was a machine- no puzzle left me stumped, no artifact was left behind. Why? Because Lara and I were a team. Because Lara depended on me. Because I was a kid and I had the abilities of a renowned archeologist and sniper. Aw yiss.


So many Laras!!


I can't tell you how much of a badass I felt like when I played as Lara Croft going on her adventures. The closest feeling I got ever since then was when I became a professional wrestler. That's quite a gap there.

So anyway, once I was old enough, I found out what it was I could do to shoot a gun like Lara. I took safety and learning classes so I could handle a gun properly. I found an adult to take me riding on a motorcycle. I joined a club that taught how to scale buildings (since mountains are scarce in my part of the world).

My point here is I wanted to be Lara Croft, so I did what I could to be like her. Now that I'm an adult, I'd say I didn't do too bad considering what I had to work with. I learned shooting, professional combat fighting, climbing walls (mountains will have to wait), ancient mythologies, and a lot of other topics that would have interested Lara Croft if she were a real person.

It's still real to me, dammit.





I know there are things that are real to you to. You have goals that are attainable, and I know you can reach them. You might have to break them down into edible pieces, but you can do it. You'll get there, just give it time and dedication. It may seem insurmountable, but I promise you, you can turn pretty much anything into something achievable.

It's 2018. The latest Tomb Raider movie hit theaters this weekend and I was there, a faithful ticket holder, still supporting Lara. This is one thing that had such an impact on me at a young age and this influence shaped me greatly. I hope each of you have an inspiration that keeps you going too.

Don't let the real world stop you. No limits.


No shame here! (Photo by Rob Myers)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sorceress of Sonnets Stops By: An Interview with Kristin Garth

A Review of Vanessa Maki's "the chosen one"

Writing, and Editing, and Pin-making, oh-my! An Interview with Kari Castor